Date: 3/18/17 6:02 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 3/17/17
Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 17, 2017
8:00am - 4:00pm

The morning started with my jest to a fellow hawk watcher from Utah that I had given up on Gray Hawks and was hoping for a Green Hawk for
St. Patrick’s Day.

A Swainson’s Hawk made a close pass over the field. The first Black Hawk flew up at 8:45, but most waited for the 9 o’clock hour.

And then - a Prius with green New Hampshire vanity plates pulled in next to the counters sporting the license “PRGRN”. (Photo documentation available). Close enough. Our first Green Hawk of the day.

Naturally the first Gray Hawk of the season appeared at 9:20 giving decent looks for a minute or so and then silently continuing north.

Large groups of Turkey Vultures made orderly progressions north. We spotted a distant kettle of Swainson’s Hawks while tracking a Black Hawk in the northwest corner. Our first 2017 Osprey took the hiway line.

Local Golden Eagles were about. We watched two Zone-tailed Hawks dive bombing one eagle until it left their airspace.

Local Cooper’s Hawks and Black Vultures make cameo appearances.

Raptors:
Common Black Hawk 23
Zone-tailed Hawk 3
Swainson’s Hawk 4