Date: 3/17/17 8:23 pm
From: Jim Leonard <photojleonard...>
Subject: [obol] Photos: Ruddy Duck Mating Behavior & Acorn Woodpecker Nesting Hole
A male Ruddy Duck in full mating plumage. They court females by beating
their bill against their neck hard enough to create a swirl of bubbles in
the water. The oldest Ruddy Duck on record was a male at least 13 years, 7
months old. He was banded in British Columbia in 1951 and found in Oregon
in 1964. Information from Cornell Lab of Ornithology website. Photo taken
at Ankeny NWR by Jim Leonard.

An Acorn Woodpecker works on a nesting cavity hole in an Oak Grove near
Ankeny NWR. Photo by Jim Leonard. (note: I waited an hour and 15 minutes
for an Acorn Woodpecker to come to my favorite oak tree that is also a
grainery tree for the woodpeckers to store their acorns.) Click on link
below for photos.

https://goo.gl/photos/RrcV1b9tGG2Bngv1A

Join us on Facebook!