Date: 3/17/17 6:41 pm
From: Dean Newhouse <dean.newhouse...>
Subject: Pinchot Park, York County
Despite the heavy snow cover, I had an interesting afternoon at Pinchot Park this afternoon. I had four juvenile Bald Eagles circling over the lake near the Conewago Day Use Area. At one point they all interacted with each other. Within 20 minutes, they had all left the scene, but were replaced by two mature Bald Eagles circling together in nearly the same spot.

On moving to the other side of the lake, I found 82 Tundra Swans gathered toward the southern end of the lake and a lone Tundra Swan near the Beaver Creek Trail Head. Off the Quaker Race Day Use Area, at the handicapped fishing area, I found 12 Hooded Mergansers, two Horned Grebes, three Pied-billed Grebes, 38 Common Mergansers, three Fox Sparrows, a Hermit Thrush, some Grackles and a Red-winged Blackbird. There were also 17 Ring-necked Ducks, nine females and eight males. Until now this winter, I've seen mostly male Ring-necked Ducks with very few females present in York County. To the south of the day use area, near a park service building, I heard the two-noted Black-capped Chickadee song, and found over 30 Cedar Waxwings and as many Robins feeding in Cedar trees. Also two Eastern Phoebes, two Red-shouldered Hawks screeching and flying about, and another Hermit Thrush. On the lake near this building, there were 14 Wood Ducks, eight American Wigeons, some Gadwalls, eight Ruddy Ducks, five Pied-billed Grebes, 35 Common Mergansers and Canada Geese.

On the downside, the trails were essentially inaccessible due to the snow cover -- more than a foot -- unless you have snow shoes or cross-country skis, but these particular locations were accessible by foot via plowed roadways.

Dean Newhouse
York County

Join us on Facebook!