Date: 3/17/17 6:34 pm
From: Connor Langan <clangan16...>
Subject: [ia-bird] Brewer's Duck in Black Hawk County
I just returned from vacation yesterday so I decided to take my bike out
today and try to tack on a few year birds. I traveled to the three best
places in the county for waterfowl: George Wyth, Big Woods Lake, and
Prairie Lakes. Nothing too special was seen at George Wyth other than 18
Double-crested Cormorants and a handful of Red-breasted Mergansers. Big
Woods Lake yielded a Pied-billed Grebe, 3 male Red-breasted Mergansers, a
handful of Green-winged Teals, and strong numbers of Ring-necked Ducks
which exceeded 100. Prairie Lakes was my final destination for the day. I
arrived to see over 300 ducks on the main lake. Canvasbacks showed up in
strong numbers with at least 140 birds. However, the find of the day was
observed at Prairie Lakes when I found a Brewer's Duck (Gadwall x Mallard
hybrid) mixed in with the Gadwalls that were present. Most of the ducks on
the lake took off in a skein at precisely 5 o'clock and headed northwest.
Photos of the Brewer's Duck can be viewed in my eBird checklist here:

Good birding,
-Connor Langan
Waterloo