Date: 3/17/17 4:35 pm
From: Al Stokie <alstokie99...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Skokie Lagoons From Willow Rd North & From Forest Way Dr Tower To Dundee Friday 3-17-17
Hello Bird People,

Parked at the Willow Rd lot & walked my usual loop trail of about 2
miles. Instead of viewing the ducks from Forest Way Dr I saw them from
the west edge of the lagoons. This was a tough walk as the ground was
snow covered & you could not see what was under the snow so holes &
snow covered branches made walking harder than usual. And it rained
from 9:30-10 a.m. although lightly.

Skokie Lagoons Willow To Tower From West Of The Lagoons (8-10:15 a.m.)

Great Blue Heron (20-25 as they have returned to the 2 nest sites)
Canada Goose (6)
Wood Duck (6)
Mallard (17)
Green Winged Teal (2-M)
Shoveler (3-PR)
Gadwall (1-PR)
Bufflehead (6)
Goldeneye (2-F)
Hooded Merganser (1-PR)
Common Merganser (12)
Red Breasted Merganser (105)
Red Tailed Hawk (1 heard only)
Ring Billed (4) & Herring (8) Gulls
Kingfisher (1-F)
Red Bellied (3), Downy (4) & Hairy (2) Woodpeckers
Crow (1)
W.B. Nuthatch (heard 2)
Robins (10-12)
Tree (22) & Song (1) Sparrows
Junco (2)
Cardinal (4-5)
Red Winged Blackbird (1-M by the parking lot)

Lagoons From Tower To Dundee From Forest Way Drive (10:45-11:10 a.m.)

Canada Goose (6) & Mallard (6)
Wood Duck (3)
Ring Necked Duck (5) & Goldeneye (1-M)
Hooded (1-PR), Common (16) & Red Breasted (183) Mergansers
Herring Gull (2)

Land birds included Mourning Doves, Chickadee, Robins, Starlings, Song
Sparrow (singing),
Cardinal & Red Wings (4).

After lunch I checked Lake Opeka & Axehead Lake where Mallards were at
both places but the only other duck was 1 male R.B. Merganser at
Opeka.

Since quality species seemed to be lacking awards will be based quantity.
Bird-of-The-Day to the 25-30 Great Blue Herons &
Runners-Up to the 105 & 183 Red Breasted Mergansers.

Al Stokie
Again close to home in Cook County

Posted by: Al Stokie <alstokie99...>

<*> Your email settings: