Date: 3/17/17 1:40 pm
From: reeser <reeser...>
Subject: Turkeys and Turkey Questions -- Cumberland County
We saw 2 of the turkeys we've been seeing again yesterday (Thurs
3/16/17) in the late afternoon. This time it was a very large male and a
very large female, walking along the road near the stream with the male
circling and following the female and displaying his huge tail and
flapping his wings. The area around his head was blue, the female's was
red. They walked by only a few feet from the car.

I'm assuming they were on the road because the ground still had most of
the 18 inches of snow on it that we got on Tuesday.

Is this typical turkey behavior for this time of year?

I was surprised to see the display now, since only about a week ago we
were still seeing 12 turkeys all together in that same spot. They were
all big now but I assumed they were the same family of turkeys that
we've been seeing since at least last fall.

Would the young from last year all have gone off on their own in the
last couple weeks?

We've seen a lot of different wildlife pass through near our house over
the years but this was the first huge turkey family. We only started to
see any turkeys here in the last couple years and then usually only one
at a time.

This is in the suburbs across the Susquehanna River from Harrisburg.

Thanks.

Ellen
<reeser...>
Cumberland County, PA