Date: 3/17/17 1:34 pm
From: Michal Furmanek <mifur2...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET February Turkey Vultures and other sightings from Lake Co.
I haven't had much time for birding lately, but since I haven't seen any IBET reports of Turkey Vultures in Lake County yet, I figured I should report this sighting.

On February 28, there were 2 TURKEY VULTURES cruising low over Lake Bluff, near intersection of Waukegan Rd and Route 176. That was about 4 PM, and on the last day the warm spell, so maybe that's why there were no more vultures pushed into Lake Co. in the following days.

Also of note, I spent a couple of hours at Fort Sheridan on February 22, starting around 4:20 and finishing before 6:30. The highlights were a flock of 12 northbound GREATER WHITE-FRONTED GEESE, 5 GREEN-WINGED TEALS and 4-5 calling WOODCOCKS.

Yesterday, March 16, I heard and then saw my foy BELTED KINGFISHER in Lake Forest.
I must say, in the last few days it felt very strange to me to have all those singing Red-wings, Grackles, Robin's and Cardinals, even occasional Killdeer flying around its territory and all that with so much snow on the ground!
Michal FurmanekLake Bluff, Lake Co.

Sent from Yahoo Mail on Android

Join us on Facebook!