Date: 3/17/17 10:54 am
From: Phil Keener <000000761ae5c4e1-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Savannah Sparrows - Long Arm Reservoir Grasslands - York County
Birded this spot for about 30 minutes today around 11:00am and it appears there are a number or loose flocks of Savannah Sparrows at this locale. Snow cover is still around 8" but melting continues. With the snow cover, the birds were on the road shoulders and as traffic approached they typically were flying to nearby bushes and trees to perch. Good views in bright sunlight were the norm. At one spot I counted 7 birds and at another 4 birds With various other spots producing flushed birds that I didn't get binos on, I believe there is a strong likelihood of a much higher total number.
Nothing else really notable. Waterfowl limited to Canada Geese, Hooded & Common Mergansers, and Ring-necked Ducks, none in significant numbers. Some ice cover but limited to about 5-10% and that was mostly at southern end.
The Bald Eagle pair in the western tree line in Adams County were perched in the tree at the established nest site but not "on nest".
Regards,
Phil Keener
East Berlin, PA

Join us on Facebook!