Date: 3/17/17 8:46 am
From: Carole Winslow <cjwinslow94...>
Subject: Butler Co- industrial strength Cooper's hawk..
Sorry but couldn't resist that subject line ! ..;)

Yesterday evening around 7:20pm while leaving work at the steel mill
in Butler, I saw a very large raptor flying directly over me and landing on
a very high tower near the slab grinding area at the edge of the plant. I
headed out the main gate and from Armco Drive was able to get it into view,
an adult Cooper's hawk, seemed like a really large one but definitely the
adult reddish breast and blocky head. I watched it for a short while and
then it shot directly down towards me in a dive to the scrubby bank along
the fence there. I waited awhile but it did not reappear and I imagine
something met it's fate there. The old buildings of the mill are infested
with house sparrows, starlings and pigeons so I imagine one of those was
the victim.

Just thought this was an interesting sight for what some might consider
an industrial wasteland. This plant sits along Conoquenessing Creek and has
wooded hills across the way, as well as adjacent waste fields along the
creek and railroad there where I believe the old Pullman Standard used to
be. Along with this Cooper's hawk, large numbers of turkey vultures
regularly kettle above the warm air that rises from the plant and melt shop
area, and I regularly see a kestrel hunting these fields at the edge of the
plant. I would guess for these birds there is a smorgasbord of food
available and hopefully not contaminated.

Carole Winslow
Sligo, Clarion Co.

Join us on Facebook!