Date: 3/17/17 8:46 am
From: Mark Barriger <Mark8bud8...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Florida bound
Good morning,

We will be traveling down to South Florida in less then 3 weeks and I hope to fit in a great deal of birding in between the normal family activities that we get ourselves into when we head down that way. I had a few questions that I hope someone can answer for me.

Stormwater Treatment Area 5/6 - I remember birding in this area a few years back but could have sworn that it was on private property and that you could only bird it certain days, is this true? Is this a good birding by car spot? My target birds here would be Snail Kite & Smooth-billed Ani. This place seems very reliable for Snail Kite but if anyone has a better place to check them out I would love any additional info!!

Birding the Miami area - This was fun a couple years ago but I kinda went into it blind and didn't know of any great places to check out. My wife & I have several birds here at home and she would really love to see some free flying parrots. Yes, I realize that these birds aren't countable as far as keeping a list but would be fun to see! We plan on hitting up Bill Baggs for the Western Spindalis, The North Shore Open Space for the Bananaquit, and the Castello Hammock Park for the Buff-bellied Hummingbird (assuming that they might still be around in a few weeks) so any tips on birding in and around these parks would be greatly appreciated!!

Other target birds that we keep dipping on are Red-whiskered Bulbul, Bronzed Cowbird, Spot-breasted Oriole, Scaly-breasted Munia, and Mangrove Cuckoo. Any "great" places to hit up for any of these species?

I thank you all in advance for any help with this trip!!

Mark Barriger

Wallingford, CT

please visit us on the web at:
<LISTSERV...>