Date: 3/17/17 3:50 am
From: Bill Evans <wrevans...>
Subject: Re:[cayugabirds-l] OT- Finger Lakes NF sensitive species help
Hello Josh,
Sedge Wren (NY Threatened) should be added if there are fields within FLNF that are not managed for cattle and putting greens. I recall being a part of July surveys during the early 90s where we found a Sedge Wren with young and lots of Henslow’s in late cut hayfields around the periphery of FLNF, but none within. I suspect both species may still be irregular breeders in small numbers at FLNF & vicinity, especially in fields with no grazing contracts.

Bill Evans

On Mar 15, 2017, at 12:42 PM, Joshua Snodgrass <cedarshiva...> wrote:
Hello all,
I've been volunteering in the Finger Lakes National Forest checking on the condition of bird boxes for the new biologist there. He is currently updating the Regional Forester Sensitive Species list for the forest, and asked for my input on any birds that should be added to the list that are in trouble. It would be irresponsible of me to give advice without asking for input from this community, who are far more knowledgeable than I am.
What I have done in my efforts to make good recommendations are to crosscheck eBird sightings with the NY DEC's list of state Endangered, Threatened, and Species of concern, as well as the most recent State of the Birds report for species that are in trouble versus those that occur in the forest. I included any birds in the SotB report that received a score of "13" or higher. If any of you have recommendations for additional species, or other edits, please let me know. Thank you all for any input. Below is the list of bird species I came up with that have been recorded in eBird as occuring in the Finger Lakes NF, with NYDEC sensitive species first.

Short-eared Owl- NY Endangered
Golden Eagle- NY Endangered (usually a migrant, one recent record of a perched bird)
Pied-billed Grebe- NY Threatened
Bald Eagle- NY Threatened
Northern Harrier- NY Threatened
Henslow's Sparrow- NY Threatened
Upland Sandpiper- NY Threatened (flyover record, but habitat seems amenable)
Northern Goshawk- NY Species of Concern (SoC)
Cooper's Hawk- NY SoC
Sharp-shinned Hawk- NY SoC
Red-shouldered Hawk- NY SoC
Common Nighthawk- NY Soc
Horned Lark- NY SoC
Vesper Sparrow- NY SoC
Grasshopper Sparrow- NY SoC

Birds not listed by NY DEC, but in trouble globally according to 2016 State of the BIrds report follow. The State of the Birds Watch List includes any species with a score of 14 or higher, as well as those with a score of 13 and a rapidly declining population. I have included all species that scored a 13 or higher that are known to occur in the Finger Lakes NF below:

Bobolink- 14 breeding
Wood Thrush- 14 breeding
Canada Warbler- 14 breeding?
American Woodcock- 13 breeding
Black-billed Cuckoo- 13 breeding
Blue-winged Warbler- 13 breeding
Prairie Warbler- 13 breeding
Cape May Warbler- 13 migrant
Connecticut Warble- 13 migrant

Honorable mentions- birds that score a 12 that breed on Finger Lakes NF lands:
Yellow-billed Cuckoo
Chestnut-sided Warbler
Louisiana Waterthrush
Mourning Warbler (breeds?)
Veery
Field Sparrow
Rusty Blackbird (migrant?)

Links to the State of the Birds, and NYDEC species list, and breeding bird atlas
http://www.stateofthebirds.org/2016/

http://www.dec.ny.gov/animals/7494.html

http://www.dec.ny.gov/cfmx/extapps/bba/

State of the Birds species table: http://www.stateofthebirds.org/2016/resources/species-assessments/