Date: 3/16/17 7:52 pm
From: 'Kirsten Holmquist' <kirsten.holmquist...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Golden-Crowned Kinglet
I took a walk at Rancho San Antonio this morning. As I was starting up the
hill from the parking lot, I was looking at the trees trying to find a
singing HOUSE WREN when an adult COOPER'S HAWK flew up silently behind me
and perched in the tree. It came within about 15 feet of me. The House
Wren went communications dark. The two people walking past and talking were
oblivious. The nuptial patches were on prominent display as it sat there.

Almost to the major trial junction near the water tower, I was enjoying a
good look at an ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLER when it flew off and was replaced by
a GOLDEN-CROWNED KINGLET. It flew off but then came back to the same tree
some 15 minutes later so maybe not just passing through. Another HOUSE WREN
was singing below all this activity.

I did have a decent Woodpecker day as well with DOWNY, NUTTALL'S, HAIRY,
ACORN, and NORTHERN FLICKER (heard only) making an appearance. Sadly, no
PILEATED though.

Regards,

Kirsten Holmquist

<kirsten.holmquist...>