Date: 3/16/17 7:16 pm
From: Billy Reiter-Marolf <wreiterm...>
Subject: [ia-bird] At least 115 Sandhill Cranes tonight in Pool Slough WMA, Allamakee County
I took the family down to Pool Slough WMA tonight to listen for American
Woodcock in Allamakee County. No luck hearing Woodcock, but we did witness
the largest flock of Sandhill Cranes I've ever seen in Iowa. I counted at
least 115 cranes congregating to the north of Army Road just east of the
second levee. A few were dancing, while others were preening or milling
around among the willows, and still more pairs flew in after I took this
photo and the light faded. I also observed 18 Trumpeter Swans, 39 Tundra
Swans, along with 11 other species of waterfowl, and a bonus Northern
Shrike. Upper Pool 9 has been inundated with waterfowl the last couple
weeks, especially along the Great River Road from Lansing to New Albin and
further into Minnesota. Too many to count seemingly create tornadoes of
waterfowl spiraling over the Refuge and crop fields near New Albin and west
up the Upper Iowa River valley. Very impressive!

Billy Reiter-Marolf
Allamakee County
New Albin, Iowa