Date: 3/16/17 7:06 pm
From: Janna Pauser <jannapauser...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Chipping Sparrows & European Goldfinch
I wanted to hear the CHIPPING SPARROWS song before they migrated, so I
sought them out in TJ Martin Park near my home in Almaden Valley. They
were indeed singing but not exactly how I remembered. The song I heard
was soft and melodic, not the single note trill I had expected. I saw at
least four, some in trees, then together on the ground. Six birds flew
off together but I'm not sure they were all CHSP.

Near Meridian I heard the bouncy finch-like song of the EUROPEAN
GOLDFINCH and found three in a tree along Oakglen Way. They were even
prettier today with their heightened breeding plumage.

Janna Pauser
San Jose

Join us on Facebook!