Date: 3/16/17 6:44 pm
From: Rob Woodward <toucanrob...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Buff-breasted Flycatcher - Garden Canyon

With my newly-minted annual pass to Fort Huachuca, today I went up Garden Canyon where a nice cool breeze blew all day.  I found 3 nests, bringing my season total to 6.  Highlights:
Red-tailed Hawk - on a nest high on a cliff faceWhite-throated Swift - 5-6 above 2nd pictograph siteArizona Woodpecker - 3 in Sawmill CanyonSteller's Jay - a few heard-only in SawmillAnna's Hummingbird - female on the nest at Lower Picnic Area, probably this species Violet-green Swallow - 2, above 2nd pictograph siteBuff-breasted Flycatcher - 2 in SawmillPainted Redstart - seen and heard throughoutCanyon Wren - pair very actively building a nest in a crevice in the cliff across from the 2nd pictograph siteHouse Wren - in a brush  pile across from SawmillTownsend's Warbler - 2, Lower Picnic AreaScott's Oriole - 1 pair in a sycamore tree at Lower Picnic Area
That's the cake,  here's the icing:
Mammals:Pronghorn Antelope - 2 in the grasslands on the base
Reptiles:Selvin's Bunchgrass Lizard - 1 in bunchgrass near entrance of SawmillUnidentified - my notes say "large,fat, black, smooth, short tail."  Can't find it in the book.
Butterflies:Pipevine Swallowtail - abundant since last weekTwo-tailed Swallowtail - several, conspicuousArizona Hairstreak - some at a mud puddle and some at a puddle in the stream bed of SawmillOrange Sulphur - 1 in the same mud puddle on the trail at SawmillRuddy  Daggerwing - 2 at the bottom of Sawmill

Rob WoodwardSierra Vista, AZ