Date: 3/16/17 4:28 pm
Subject: Re: R.T. Loons - Holden Beach, Brunswick County
Actually, Red-necked Grebe is very rare in southern coastal waters. I am
not aware of any coastal records at all in the last month or two, even
north of Cape Hatteras. I am surprised that there are no such reports, as
Feb into March is a good time to see it on the ocean, but not in the
warmish waters south of Cape Hatteras. Thus, you should provide
details/descriptions on eBird, this listserve, etc., before your report
were to get accepted.

Red-throated Loons are often much, much more numerous than Common Loons on
the ocean along the NC coast. It is quite variable by location -- off
Wrightsville Beach, you often see 50 Commons for every few R-t Loons. But,
off many other beaches, such as along the east shore of the Outer Banks, it
is about 50 R-t Loons per Common.

Harry LeGrand
Raleigh

On Thu, Mar 16, 2017 at 5:16 PM, richardscottw <carolinabirds...>
wrote:

> I am seeing so many Red-throated Loons today on the ocean at Holden Beach
> that
> I thought I would post and see if folks think its an unusual event. In a
> five-
> minute scan from the shore of a portion of the bay I counted 60+.
> Everywhere I
> look on the water I see them.
> Also had one Common Loon and a few Red-necked Grebes.
> We're from Pennsylvania, so for all I know this is not unusual at all. But
> its
> remarkable to me.
> We also had a nice little raft of Horned Grebes at the west end of the
> island
> today.
> -Scott Walker

Join us on Facebook!