Date: 3/16/17 4:01 pm
From: <s2ary...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] The Smith's Longspur is back at Bear Creek
Hi Folks,

I just wanted to let everyone know that the Smith's Longspur is back at the Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary. It was spotted on Wednesday. We went back today and took some pictures and forwarded them to the people who could definitely identify them. They confirmed the ID. Thank you to the identifiers.

We have a Sunday Morning Bird walk scheduled for 9 am on March 19. If we find the Smith's again we will schedule another trip for Wednesday and keep the Wednesday / Sunday trip schedule until the bird continues north. If you would like to attend one of these trips please email me at <s2ary39...> and let me know you want to see the Smith's. More information about the trip is below.

Thank you
Geoff

PS. Big thanks to Mara for posting the March 12 trip report to Massbird earlier this week.

Soheil will not be able to attend for the next few weeks. Geoff Wilson, will continue to post trip announcements to Massbird and has started an online newsletter in which he announces Bear Creek walks and other issues important to Bear Creek enthusiasts. To subscribe to the Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary newsletter, text BEARCREEK to the number 22828. Alternatively, drop an email to <s2ary39...> and ask to be included in the mailings.

If you want to join the walk on March 19, here are the details:

Bear Creek is an upland sanctuary built on the Wheelabrator (formerly RESCO) landfill at the northern end of Rumney Marsh in Saugus and Revere. Access information is below. Wear good walking shoes and be prepared to hike 3 – 4 miles. The property is mostly very open, so be prepared for sun, wind and weather.

This walk is free and open to the public, but also note that this property is accessible by invitation only and visitors need to be chaperoned at all times. Please allow roughly 4 hours for this field trip. The actual length of the trip depends on conditions and the birds present. It's usually difficult to break up the party if you need to be somewhere in the early afternoon. Come prepared to stay with the group.

Wheelabrator company has graciously stocked up on some extra pairs of binoculars, so if you or someone you know wants to learn about birds and birding, come on down.

Bear Creek sanctuary access is via the Wheelabrator plant, 100 Salem Turnpike (Rte 107), Saugus. The rotary at the intersection of Rtes 60 and 107 is about 1½ miles southwest of the plant and about 1 mile east of Rte 1 exit on Rte 60. When traveling northeast on 107, if you go over the Ballard Street bridge (just after a set of lights) you’ve gone too far—turn back. Here is a link to google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/326v87d

When you arrive, drive through the plant gates, park in the parking lot immediately and wait for the group. Please do not drive farther into the property without an escort.

Geoff Wilson

<S2ary39...>

207-252-4841

Join us on Facebook!