Date: 3/16/17 3:04 pm
From: Joseph Neal <joeneal...>
Subject: SURF SCOTER AT ALMA WASTEWATER (again? still?)
A single Surf Scoter was among a diverse group of ducks at Alma Wastewater Treatment Facility today. Plumage-wise, today’s scoter looked similar to the bird I photographed in same place March 7 (what I interpret as a juv first winter molting into an adult female). So did the assemblage of several hundred ducks: Gadwall, American Wigeon, Blue-winged Teal, Northern Shoveler, Green-winged Teal, Canvasback, Redhead, Ring-necked duck, Lesser Scaup, Surf Scoter, Bufflehead, Common Goldeneye, Ruddy Duck. Most numerous: Northern Shoveler, Ring-necked Duck, Lesser Scaup, and Rudy Duck. In my excitement at refinding (? or finding?) the scoter, I left my headlights on and ran down the battery. A kind man working at the facility gave me a much-appreciated jump.

Join us on Facebook!