Date: 3/16/17 12:26 pm
From: Andrew Core <andrewcore...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] se AZ: Tucson - Sweetwater Wetlands Cassin's Sparrow
Hello birders,

I found a Cassin's Sparrow singing quietly along the river at Sweetwater
Wetlands this morning (3/16). I was actually hoping for a Black-throated
Sparrow or a Scott's Oriole, but I'll take it!

If you want to look for it, I first saw it from the multi-use path in the
riverbed even with the 3rd recharge basin (from the east). There aren't
many landmarks here, but it was perched up in a desert broom between two
mesquites. This is about 100 yards past where they've repaired the iron
railing with a couple steel bars welded for support, and about 200 yards
past the ramp down to the river in the southeast corner.

I got a 6 or 7 minute recording of it calling and singing; at one point it
was only 15 feet away and singing, but very quietly, so we'll see how it
turns out. Got some pix as well.

There are a two other reports nearby in eBird from August and April but in
general this is a very rare bird along the Santa Cruz River in Tucson.

Pix & sounds in eBird later... this is #306 for Sweetwater according to my
tally (https://sites.google.com/site/sweetwaterwetlands/checklist).

Other than that, only notable bird to report was a continuing Snow Goose
with the wigeon flock on the Silverbell Golf Course across the river. I
think this is probably a different bird than the two at Columbus Park.

Andrew

--
Andrew Core
Tucson, AZ