Date: 3/16/17 11:23 am
From: Cathy Blumig <wolgast...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] woodcock and feeder predation
During the squall that hit Somerset yesterday afternoon I saw an American
Woodcock walking down our long driveway and eventually hop off a bridge that
passes over a small stream. I was in my truck so when I got to the bridge I
stopped and looked down and saw the woodcock walking along and stop to drink
from the brook. That's the first time I've ever seen a woodcock drink. Or
maybe it was trying eat. I'm not sure. I also saw red-winged blackbirds
pick out acorns from the water and then hammer them like a woodpecker (sort
of). Another first.

And finally another first: most all of us have probably seen a sharpie pick
off a passerine or two from our feeders, but yesterday was the first time I
saw a red fox kill a bird at the feeders: a male cardinal. The fox, which I
think was a male, was having a tough time negotiating the feathers but
eventually got the head and body down. After he left I walked out to
inspect the remaining feathers and blood in the snow. Quite a color
contrast.

Good birding to all,

Cathy Blumig

Somerset, NJ