Date: 3/16/17 10:03 am
From: <krschwa1...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Help pass the Fracking Ban in the Senate!
This post is on behalf of the Maryland Ornithological Society and has
been pre-cleared with the moderator.
Please consider supporting the fracking ban bill in the Maryland
Senate. Fracking presents a threat to the Important Bird Areas in
Garret and Allegany Counties. The University of Maryland Public
Health Study of 2014 stated that fracking will cause habitat
destruction through spills of waste water. The EPA admitted in 2016
that fracking can contaminate pubic drinking water. MOS and Audubon
MD-DC both support the fracking ban. The corresponding bill has
passed the House of Delegates.
Kurt R. Schwarz, Conservation Chair, Maryland Ornithological Society,
<krschwa1...>
We need your help to pass the Fracking Ban in the Senate!

Maryland Chapter

Dear Kurt,

Write or call your Senator!
Take Action
Take Action

Our campaign to ban fracking in Maryland is gathering force - two
weeks ago, over one thousand Marylanders rallied in Annapolis to
oppose fracking, and on March 10th the Maryland House of Delegates
agreed, voting overwhelmingly for legislation to prohibit this
destructive practice from coming to our state.

Now it is time for the Maryland Senate to act! We are close to having
the needed votes, but the bill's fate in the Senate is still
uncertain.

Please tell your state senator to ban fracking in Maryland by
supporting SB 740, the senate ban bill! If your legislator is a
co-sponsor or already in support, we still need you to speak up. We
need all of our Senate champions to talk to President Miller and
Senator Joan Carter Conway and ask for the bill to move out of
committee so it is voted upon the Senate floor.

Hydraulic fracturing, or "fracking," shoots millions of gallons of
pressurized, chemical-laden water deep into the earth to obtain shale
gas. The evidence continues to mount that fracking pollutes our air,
water, and land, and is a serious threat to public health. Methane
emissions throughout the process threaten our climate. Yet Maryland's
current moratorium on fracking expires in just a few months.

It's time for a ban. Let's turn our attention toward building a
thriving economy based on clean, non-polluting energy sources.
Fracking our state will take us backwards, not forward to this
critical goal.

You can make a difference by writing or calling your state senator. Urge
her or him to support this important bill and to ask Senate President
Mike Miller to bring SB740 to a vote in the full Senate. We expect
Senate action very soon, so please add your voice today!

Thank you for your support,

Jill Clark-Gollub
Beyond Gas Committee Co-Chair

&

Mark Posner
Legislative Chair

PS: Be sure to take action today and share on Facebook and Twitter!

To learn more about the work of the Sierra Club Maryland Chapter,
visit our website and our Facebook page.

[IMAGE]

This email was sent to: <krschwa1...>

This email was sent by the Sierra Club Maryland Chapter
7338 Baltimore Ave, Suite 102 College Park, MD 20740

Unsubscribe | Manage Preferences | View as Web Page

Group 'Maryland & DC Birding'.
To view group guidelines or change email preferences, visit this group
on the web at http://www.mdbirding.com
Unfamiliar with a hotspot mentioned on this list? Quickly locate it
here - http://www.mdbirding.com/hotspot.html

Join us on Facebook!