Date: 3/15/17 8:24 pm
From: Anthony V. <tonyvanschoor...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Re: Painted Bunting in Harford
On Monday, March 13, 2017 at 10:09:48 PM UTC-4, Josh Emm wrote:
> All,
> There's currently an adult male Painted Bunting coming to a feeder in Aberdeen, MD. The presence of this bird was originally slow release because of the super limited parking situation and the homeowner's uncertainty as to how many people would come see it. But because a certain (no names here) "birder" (term used lightly) decided to take it upon them self to put it all over Facebook, I figure now is as good a time as any to open it up to the whole list serv. If you're interested, please shoot me an email apistopanchax AT gmail.com
> Good birding
> Josh Emm
> HdG, MD
>
> Sent from my iPhone

Seems to me like someone dropped the ball and/or lacks the skills to be an ambassador to birding in this situation. I knocked on the door when I arrived and when the Grandmother answered she had a huge smile and said the bird was there right now. She asked me where everyone else was? Confused, I asked how many people were you expecting? She said she thought this bird was one that more people would love to enjoy as she has. When she asked me to tell as many as possible. It through up a red flag in my mind..Why would she say this? Has no one been listening? Are people selfish? Whose call is it anyway? If the homeowner wants to allow and accommodate with overwhelming hospitality to people with or without cameras. Who is it that steps up and funnels people to quite a sight? An ambassador would be prepared for such an event and have a list of rules/concerns to go public with keeping the homeowners, neighbors and bird and in mind. The folks in PA with the Black-backed Oriole did it right and everything went well. Why couldn't this happen in this case? The fence was already a great barrier. The bird had its favorite places to perch established and wasn't in a bad situation and was very well fed and healthy looking. It was a lifer for me and I was talking with the Grandmother for a half hour or the 45min I was there. Guess I just listen too well....I'm concerned that people are doing this for the wrong reason and good people become discouraged and find something else to do with their time.