Date: 3/15/17 8:02 pm
From: Mark J. Greenfield <markgreenfield...>
Subject: [obol] Lost Lagoon Farm Bird List for March 1-15, 2017
Below is my bird list for Lost Lagoon Farm, Gillihan Road, Sauvie Island, for the first half of March, 2017. The number of species seen or heard is going up as we move towards spring. 51 species for this period. After a very long absence, cackling geese again appeared in the 1000s two or three days ago, and there were over 100 sandhill cranes. Haven’t seen numbers like that since late December or early January. FOY include tree swallows and rufous hummingbirds (which have arrived in full force). I toured the property today, and over 50 red flowering currants are now blooming. The rufous routinely arrive when they open up.

Great blue heron (seeing them with much greater frequency over the past week)
Sandhill crane (also much more numerous this past week)
Cackling goose (ditto)
Canada goose
Wood duck (showing signs of nesting in our nest boxes)
Mallard (also may be preparing to nest on the property)
Northern pintail
Hooded merganser
Green-winged teal
Northern shoveler
Ring-necked duck
Bald eagle
Red-tailed hawk
Turkey vulture
American kestrel
California quail
Great horned owl (becoming more vocal of late)
Ring-billed gull
Mew gull
California gull
Glaucous-winged gull
Mourning dove
Eurasian collared dove
Annas hummingbird
Rufous hummingbird (FOY 3/13)
Pileated woodpecker
Hairy woodpecker
Downy woodpecker
Northern flicker
California scrub jay
American crow
Tree swallow (FOY 3/10)
Black-capped chickadee
Brown creeper
White-breasted nuthatch (first in months; in past years, they were here all winter)
Bushtit
Bewick’s wren
Pacific wren
Golden-crowned kinglet