Date: 3/15/17 4:03 pm
From: Gena Zolotar <gzolotar...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Pileated Woodpecker 3/15 - Rancho San Antonio (!)
This morning (3/15/17) around 11:30am I was very surprised (and thrilled) to see a PILEATED WOODPECKER at Rancho San Antonio. I was just starting on Ravensbury Trail from Rogue Valley Trail (about 1.5 miles from the main parking lot - map: https://www.google.com/maps/place/37.336588,-122.106174 ), when I heard a slow "wuk-wuk-wuk-wuk." Seconds later, a female Pileated Woodpecker flew in from the left and over the trail, heading uphill. I wasn't able to re-find the bird, but did hear a few more "wuks" in the distance. This seems a very unusual location for a Pileated.

There were 12 RING-NECKED DUCKS on the very full Rogue Valley pond (3 females, 9 males). Other birds of note included WARBLING VIREOS (3), ORANGE-CROWNED WARBLERS (25+), VIOLET-GREEN SWALLOWS (12+), and a small flock of singing TOWNSEND'S WARBLERS (4). Next door at the Gates of Heaven Cemetery I saw an adult male HOODED ORIOLE (FOS for me) and a pair of HOODED MERGANSERS.

Good birding,
Gena Zolotar
Mountain View

Join us on Facebook!