Date: 3/15/17 3:47 pm
From: Barb GORGES <bgorges4...>
Subject: Bird Banter for March 2017: Bird book reviews
This edition of Bird Banter, reviewing five bird books, was first published March 12, 2017, in the Wyoming Tribune Eagle. Please mention the first publication and credit the author if you republish this.
You can see the full-color cover shots, and look up previous Bird Banter columns, at https://cheyennebirdbanter.wordpress.com/.
Thanks,
Barb
Bird books worth reading
By Barb Gorges
If you are the books you read, here is what I've been this winter.
"The Genius of Birds" by Jennifer Ackerman, c. 2016, Penguin Press
This was a Christmas present from my daughter-in-law, Madeleine, who teaches cognitive psychology. It's an enthralling overview of the latest studies that show how much smarter birds are than we thought, sometimes smarter than us in particular ways. They can navigate extreme distances, find home, find food stashed six months earlier, solve puzzles, use tools, sing hundreds of complex songs, remember unique relationships with each flock member, engineer nests, adapt to new foods and situations. They can even communicate with us.
"Good Birders Still Don't Wear White, Passionate Birders Share the Joys of Watching Birds," edited by Lisa A. White and Jeffrey A. Gordon, c. 2017, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
The previous volume, in 2007, was "Good Birders Don't Wear White, 50 Tips from North America's Top Birders."
One of my favorite essays is by our Colorado friend Ted Floyd, "Go Birding with (Young, Really Young) Children." Having frequently accompanied him and his children, I can say he does a terrific job of making birdwatching appealing.
Many of the essays start out with "Why I Love..." and move on to different aspects of birding people love (seabirds, drawing birds, my yard, spectrograms, "because it gets me closer to tacos"), followed by tips should you want to follow their passions.
"Field Guide to the Birds of California" by Alvaro Jaramillo, c. 2015
This is part of the American Birding Association State Field Guide Series published by Scott & Nix Inc. The series so far also includes Arizona, the Carolinas, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, New Jersey, New York, Pennsylvania and Texas.
Each author writes their own invitation to the beginning birdwatcher or the birder new to their state.
While a few birding hotspots may be mentioned, the real service these books provide is an overview of the state's ecological regions and what kind of habitats to find each species in, not to mention large photos of each. I'll probably still pack my Sibley's, just in case we see a bird rare to California.
"Peterson Field Guide to the Bird Sounds of Eastern North America" by Nathan Pieplow, c. 2017, Houghton Mifflin Harcourt
While including the usual bird pictures and range maps, this book is about learning to identify birds by sound and corresponding audio files can be found at www.petersonbirdsounds.com<http://www.petersonbirdsounds.com>.
Bird songs are charted using spectrograms, graphic representations of sound recordings.
You can think of spectrograms as musical notation. They read from left to right. A low black mark indicates a low-pitched frequency. A thin, short line higher up indicates a clear sound with few overtones, higher pitched and short-lived. But most bird sounds are more complex, some filling the spectrogram from top to bottom.
Pieplow explains how to read spectrograms, the basic patterns, the variations, the none-vocal sounds like wing-clapping, and the biology of bird sounds.
Once you can visualize what you are hearing, Pieplow provides a visual index to bird sounds to help you try to match a bird with what you heard.
Taking a call note I'm familiar with in my neighborhood, the one note the Townsend's solitaire gives from the top of a tree in winter, I find that Pieplow categorizes it as "cheep," higher than a "chirp" and more complex than "peep." It's going to take a while to train our ears to distinguish differences.
"The Warbler Guide" by Tom Stephenson and Scott White, c. 2015, Princeton University Press and The Warbler Guide App.
Spectrograms are a part of the 500 pages devoted to the 56 species of warblers in the U.S. and Canada.
The yellow warbler, whose song we hear along willow-choked streams in the mountains in summer, gets 10 pages.
Icons show its silhouette (sometimes it can be diagnostic), color impression (as it flies by in a blur), tail pattern (the usual underside view of a bird above your head), range generalization, habitat (what part of the tree it prefers) and behavioral (hover, creep, sally, walk).
Then there's the spectrogram comparing it to other species and maps show migration routes and timing, both spring and fall. We can see the yellow warbler spends the winter as far south as Peru.
Forty-one photographs show all angles, similar species, and both sexes at various ages.
The companion app, an additional $13, has most of the book's content, and lets you rotate to compare 3-D versions of two warblers at a time, filter identification clues and listen to song recordings.
This is a good investment for birding in Cheyenne where we have seen 32 warbler species over the last 20 springs.

xxx

Join us on Facebook!