Date: 3/15/17 3:02 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Red-throated Loon numbers increasing in Port Washington
I returned to Coal Dock Park in Port Washington this afternoon, and although
numbers were down for some species from yesterday, I noticed that
Red-throated Loon numbers have gone up. Though diving frequently, the four
by the harbor entrance were still present, and then while standing on the
wooden viewing deck with the information about the ship "Northerner", I
spotted 7 more in a tight flock beyond the breakwall just south of the
harbor entrance. I scanned back to see if I could still see 4 in the
original location and saw only 3, so I'm not sure if 1 joined the flock of
7, or if the 4 were still at the harbor entrance. Later one entered a bit
farther into the harbor. Anyway, total was 10 or 11.
At this time, it is still best to have a scope and walk out to the east end
of the park. It does get cold out there, so dress appropriately.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County