Date: 3/15/17 1:37 pm
From: Mara Factor <mfactor...>
Subject: [MASSBIRD] Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary Sunday Morning Walk on March 19
Hi Folks,

The March 12 bird walk at the Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary was cold but
but had its moments. This week we had a chase scene of an adult Bald Eagle
going after a Black Duck. It was as exciting as last week's Peregrine and
Killdeer chase though at a slower pace. We also had an aggressive turkey
follow our group until Geoff chased it off.

Thanks to Pat for the following eBird report:

Bear Creek Sanctuary (restricted access), Essex, Massachusetts, US
Mar 12, 2017 9:00 AM - 12:00 PM
Protocol: Traveling
3.0 mile(s)
Comments: Tough weather conditions - started out at about 11 degrees,
and blowing up to 30 mph. Five hearty souls had a pretty good morning of
birding!
26 species

Canada Goose 60
American Black Duck 30
White-winged Scoter 2
Bufflehead 1
Wild Turkey 3 One male got a bit agressive with a member of our party.
Geoff "displayed", and backed him off!
Northern Harrier 1
Sharp-shinned Hawk 1 Patrolling the feeders at the shack.
Bald Eagle 1 Scared up a bunch of ducks & geese out of the marshes on
the north side of the property. Chased on black duck, unsuccessfully, and
flew south.
Red-tailed Hawk 1
Herring Gull 12
Great Black-backed Gull 2
Rock Pigeon (Feral Pigeon) 4
Mourning Dove 2
Short-eared Owl 2 Kicked up separately as we walked the property. Each
floated over the ridges, hunted for a bit, and dropped back down.
Blue Jay 2
Horned Lark 60 Moving about in small flocks, usually settling down on
one of the gravel roads.
Black-capped Chickadee 6
American Robin 2
Northern Mockingbird 1
European Starling 6
American Tree Sparrow 12
White-throated Sparrow 1
Song Sparrow 3
Northern Cardinal 6
Red-winged Blackbird 60
Eastern Meadowlark 2 Like most of today's birds, these 2 were kicked
up by our presence, flew about a bit in the heavy wind, and settled back
down into the grasses.

View this checklist online at http://ebird.org/ebird/view/
checklist/S35137134

The next Bear Creek Wildlife Sanctuary walk will be at 9 am, this Sunday,
March 19.

Geoff Wilson, our guide and chaperone at Bear Creek, started an online
newsletter to announce Bear Creek walks and other issues important to Bear
Creek enthusiasts. Subscribe to the newsletter by texting BEARCREEK to the
number 22828 or send an email to <s2ary39...> and ask to be included
in the mailings.

Here are the details to join the March 19 walk:

[NOTE: Snow is predicted for Sunday so please check back with the list
before heading to Wheelabrator in case of cancellation.]

Bear Creek is an upland sanctuary built on the Wheelabrator (formerly
RESCO) landfill at the northern end of Rumney Marsh in Saugus and Revere.
Access information is below. Wear good walking shoes and be prepared to
hike 3 – 4 miles. The property is mostly very open, so be prepared for sun,
wind and weather.

This walk is free and open to the public, but also note that this property
is accessible by invitation only and visitors need to be chaperoned at all
times. Please allow roughly 4 hours for this field trip. The actual length
of the trip depends on conditions and the birds present. It's usually
difficult to break up the party if you need to be somewhere in the early
afternoon. Come prepared to stay with the group.

Wheelabrator company has graciously stocked up on some extra pairs of
binoculars, so if you or someone you know wants to learn about birds and
birding, come on down.

Bear Creek sanctuary access is via the Wheelabrator plant, 100 Salem
Turnpike (Rte 107), Saugus. The rotary at the intersection of Rtes 60 and
107 is about 1½ miles southwest of the plant and about 1 mile east of Rte 1
exit on Rte 60. When traveling northeast on 107, if you go over the Ballard
Street bridge (just after a set of lights) you’ve gone too far—turn back.
Here is a link to google maps:

http://tinyurl.com/326v87d

When you arrive, drive through the plant gates, park in the parking lot
immediately and wait for the group. Please do not drive farther into the
property without an escort.

Mara Factor

Marblehead, MA

Visit my Travels and Trails <http://friends.backcountry.net/m_factor> web