Date: 3/15/17 1:06 pm
From: Daniel Mason <millipede1977...>
Subject: Re: eBird: Yellow-headed Blackbird, Charlie Craig State Fish Hatchery
I just happened to see the photo on ebird this morning before the list
went through. Took a couple kids out there and got there just a few
minutes before 11. No luck. Asked a guy driving b y who said they
hadn't seen it since the report. Being next to the building they were
all in, they scared it when they went to look at it. I don't know if it
moved on but we searched the area for over an hour and a half. No
luck. That bird is on my need list and every time it's reported, it's
gone before I get a chance to look. Some day.
There was a group of ducks on one of the ponds, about 35ish that looked
like a mixed group of scaups(greater and lesser) with a female
canvasback in there. Blue-winged and green-winged teal as well as
mallards and buffleheads on a few other ponds. 1 least sandpiper and 15
pectoral. Saw only 4 when we pulled in but just a while later the group
had grown. Also had a harrier fly over for a minute. Counted about 39
species in all so still a good day but still bummed about that
blackbird. Some rusties are still there. I've seen people report
brewer's there lately but I haven't had any confirmed looks at any yet.
Some of those rusties can be very dark it seems and throw me. Speaking
of rusties... been a lot lately out at city lake in Siloam as well. A
few times I've been there I've seen 50 or more at a time. I've only
been doing this a few years but this is the first winter I've seen so many.

Daniel Mason