Date: 3/15/17 12:00 pm
From: 'Mark Vande Pol' <groundcover...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Wildergarten

Hi,

I am an owner and manager of Wildergarten
<http://www.wildergarten.org/wildergarten.html> , what is regarded by many a
the finest native plant restoration project in the world (you can peruse the
plant list here <http://www.wildergarten.org/w-docs/species-list.xls> ).
In particular, our project has focused upon native annuals, which are
tragically neglected in efforts of this type. As I am sure you know, native
annuals form a keystone element in many insect lifecycles and are
foundational to animal forage, including birds.

Sadly, this project has not emphasized birds, both because of deficiencies
in my education and because of other priorities. I've taken a sort of "if
you build it they will come" attitude about such things. Yet from what I
hear as I weed every morning, that is exactly what has happened.
Accordingly, I am seeking assistance in developing a credible bird list
(mine is attached) and, more importantly, to learn both to recognize calls
and understand what these species need in terms of functional habitat and/or
protection from predators (particularly nest raiders). Any assistance in
that regard would be greatly appreciated, as I am currently maxed out with
weeding.

Thanks,

Mark Vande Pol

<http://www.wildergarten.org/wildergarten.html> Wildergarten (18MBpdf)