Date: 3/15/17 6:00 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] [SPAM?] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 3/14/17
Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 14, 2017
8:00am - 6:00pm

It was SRO at the park this morning with a large crowd gathering to celebrate pi day. On the way back from the rest rooms I stopped and counted over 100 people. We noted license plates from 16 states and 1 province. The county arrived to build some additional parking spaces by the DeAnza Trail entrance (thanks to Jim Karp and local Tubac birder efforts).

The Black Hawks began at 9:07 along with a Zone-tailed Hawk at 9:30. Once again Golden Eagles tried to muscle their way in during the late morning. High flying Black Hawks continued late into the afternoon. About 10 observers endured the scorching sun and 90 degree temperatures.

As the sun sunk toward the mountains in the west we were treated to several Black Hawks settling into the trees north and south of the park.

Again the Gray Hawks avoided us.

Raptors:
Common Black Hawk 30
Zone-tailed Hawk 1
Golden Eagle 4
Red-tailed Hawk 9
Turkey Vulture 81

Local Cooper’s Hawks, Kestrels and Black Vultures.

Peter Collins
Vail, AZ