Date: 3/15/17 5:11 am
From: 'Leslie Starr' via Maryland & DC Birding <mdbirding...>
Subject: [MDBirding] Harford Painted Bunting
Dorothy, I remember well your Painted Bunting and what a good job you did of managing viewing, as Josh did when the Harford bird was so newly being seen that the homeowners didn't know if they wanted anyone coming at all. The Harford bird is even less accessible than yours was. The viewer basically has to be in the shrubbery, well into the yard, to get a view of the feeder, and there are far fewer parking options than in your neighborhood. I'm sure the homeowners would still prefer that birders find out individually how to get to this bird rather than having their address publicized.

In a recent message to this group, Josh offered that people could contact him for viewing information, and apparently the homeowners are also fine with David Fleischmann acting as liaison. I'm copying Josh and David in this message so you can easily click on their addresses if you want to contact them. (Josh is <apistopanchax...> and David is <david...>)

It is a privilege to be able to see rare birds on private property, not a right. Perhaps there could be a more fair way of determining who is allowed to see these birds, such as a lottery, but in the meantime, the slow release of information to close associates and those known to be respectful of the bird and its hosts has worked well.

Leslie Starr
Baltimore