Date: 3/14/17 5:39 pm
From: Daniel Estabrooks <000000078b08fc2d-dmarc-request...>
Subject: [BRDBRAIN] Circle B Bar Reserve - Lots of spoonbills, etc.
Every year in February or March, I try to do a Big Day at Circle B Bar Reserve, east of Lakeland. Well, today was the day for 2017, and it was a disaster. High winds all morning kept the birds down, and I was pretty much done after 3 hours thanks to a nasty migraine anyway. And then I accidentally deleted all my counts from my phone, so I had to reconstruct them for eBird the best I could after I got home. But hey, you gotta work with what life hands you.
I counted exactly 20 Roseate Spoonbills, which is by far the most I've ever seen there. But the most interesting thing I found was a Blue-headed Vireo singing an odd song. Instead of the usual pause of a couple seconds or so between each phrase, it was just rolling directly from one "cheerio" phrase into the next like a robin. I was very confused when I first heard it because the tonal quality sounded just like a Blue-head but I've never heard them do that before. The only thing I could come up with for an ID was maybe Baltimore Oriole. But, on a hunch, I did a little BHVI playback, and sure enough, the thing practically landed on my head within 30 seconds.
Other than that, it was a pretty dull day. (Yes, 66 species is a dull day at Circle B. I guess I'm spoiled. Haha) Anyway, full eBird list (with more information) is below:
Circle B Bar Reserve, Polk, Florida, US
Mar 14, 2017 6:40 AM - 11:15 AM
Protocol: Traveling
4.0 mile(s)
Comments:    Birded most of the trails in the reserve, but I got a nasty migraine after about 3 hours and wasn't terribly focused after that point, so there's no telling what I might have missed.
66 species

Black-bellied Whistling-Duck  60
Mottled Duck  1
Blue-winged Teal  60
Pied-billed Grebe  3
Wood Stork  5
Double-crested Cormorant  30
Anhinga  20
Great Blue Heron  10
Great Egret  10
Snowy Egret  5
Little Blue Heron  10
Tricolored Heron  10
Cattle Egret  15
Green Heron  5
White Ibis  100
Glossy Ibis  100
Roseate Spoonbill  20    Exact count. They were all together along the east side of Wading Bird Way, between Marsh Rabbit Run and Windmill Whisper early in the morning. As the day went on, they dispersed throughout the reserve.
Black Vulture  20
Turkey Vulture  5
Osprey  5
Cooper's Hawk  1    Flew over the service road that runs from the nature center to the east end of Alligator Alley.
Bald Eagle  3
Red-shouldered Hawk  4
Sora  3    Estimated. I heard lots of whinnies & whistles coming from the west side of Heron Hideout, just south of Marsh Rabbit Run. They seemed to be coming from several different places. I didn't see any of them.
Purple Gallinule  10
Common Gallinule  50
American Coot  10
Limpkin  5
Sandhill Crane  6
Wilson's Snipe  1
Ring-billed Gull  1
Caspian Tern  1
Mourning Dove  5
Barred Owl  1    Heard singing before sunrise, near the nature center.
Belted Kingfisher  3
Red-bellied Woodpecker  4
Downy Woodpecker  1
American Kestrel  1    Perched near Eagle Roost.
Eastern Phoebe  3
White-eyed Vireo  3
Blue-headed Vireo  4    One bird was giving a very odd song with no pauses between the phrases. Instead of the usual pause between each "cheerio" phrase, it would just roll through several phrases at a time like a robin. I've never heard this species sing on its wintering grounds before at all, and I've never heard any of the "robin-like" vireos sing songs without pauses.
Blue Jay  4
Fish Crow  15
Purple Martin  1
Tree Swallow  5
Barn Swallow  2
Tufted Titmouse  2
House Wren  7
Marsh Wren  1    Singing near the corner of Marsh Rabbit Run and Heron Hideout. I don't visit Circle B much anymore, but this seems to be a fairly reliable spot for this species.
Carolina Wren  5
Blue-gray Gnatcatcher  5
Ruby-crowned Kinglet  3
Gray Catbird  3