Date: 3/14/17 4:44 pm
From: Brooke Miller <idbirds...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Santa Clara County 2017 Cumulative Year List - February Results
Hello South-Bay-Birders!

I missed one species for January, a/the Yellow-bellied Sapsucker at the dirt lot across from the Spring Valley unit of Ed Levin County Park, continuing on 22-January. That increased January’s bird count from 206 to 207.

We had 4 new birds in February, bringing the total count to 211. We are still above the average of 208 for total birds, but were below the average of 9 birds for February. The new birds for February were:

3-Feb: A Northern Rough-winged Swallow (2), seen by Bill Bousman, flying over the Coyote Creek Trail below Highway 237;

10-Feb: A male Rufous Hummingbird (4), seen at a feeder at Julie and Amir Avnit’s home in the Santa Cruz Mountains;

12-Feb: A Blue-gray Gnatcatcher (2), seen by Janna Pauser at the Stile Ranch Trailhead at Santa Teresa County Park; and

28-Feb: A Pacific-slope Flycatcher (2), photographed by Tom Grey at Frenchman’s Park at Stanford.

March, April, and May are traditionally months with quite a few new birds species, with averages of 10 for March, 24 for April, and 10 for May.

My monthly reports are made up of eBird sightings, postings on SBB, and direct emails. You can find all the monthly cumulative lists on the SCVAS website at:
http://www.scvas.org/page.php?page_id=6612&name=Birding_Resources#lists <http://www.scvas.org/page.php?page_id=6612&name=Birding_Resources#lists>

Please post all your sightings to <south-bay-birds...> <mailto:<south-bay-birds...> and/or www.eBird.org <http://www.ebird.org/> . Please contact me if you find errors or omissions, or have questions or comments.

Brooke Miller

Join us on Facebook!