Date: 3/14/17 4:26 pm
From: Tom Wood <tcwood729...>
Subject: [wisb] Re: Cinnamon Teal appears to be a hybrid / Sheboygan County

I arrived at the KW pond at approximately 11:50 A.M. and enjoyed the variety of birds that were there, but found no Cinnamon or Blue-winged Teal. Dan Belter arrived, and he wasn't seeing them either. We went over to Risseeuw Road to check the limited open water, and Dan quickly spotted what we thought was the Cinnamon Teal. Just as he got me on it, both teal flew to the very small patch of open water near the northwest corner of CTH KW and Risseeuw Road. At this location, they were less than 100 yards from the road, but they were frequently hidden by the Ring-billed Gulls and Northern Shovelers.
Nevertheless, many excellent views with excellent lighting were available. When I first saw it, I thought to myself, this doesn't look like any Cinnamon Teal I have ever seen. The sides were rufous, but not the deep red rufous I expected. There were many black speckles on the side which are not present on Cinnamon Teal. There was also a patch of white between the forehead and eye which suggested the start of a white crescent that would be found on a Blue-winged Teal. Although more subtle, the bill was less spatulate and shorter than I have seen on Cinnamon Teal.
Dan had a smartphone and found a photo of a Blue-winged Teal X Cinnamon Teal hybrid which closely resembled our bird.
Obviously, we had viewing conditions that have not been available to other birders, and had this bird not come so close, I would have also called it a Cinnamon Teal.
Thomas Wood, Menomonee Falls, Waukesha County