Date: 3/14/17 2:41 pm
From: <mdodder...> [south-bay-birds] <south-bay-birds-noreply...>
Subject: [SBB] Emily Renzel Wetlands (Matadero Creek)
My go-spot for lunch-hour Orioles did not disappoint today. Two BULLOCK'S ORIOLES (my first of season) were present along the creek near the chain-link enclosure. The first bird was a brilliant male foraging in the budding willows, the second was an unseen bird calling softly from slightly up-creek, deeper in the eucalyptus. Neither one was singing, they just made the short "cup" call repeatedly—almost overwhelmed by the chaos of SONG SPARROWS, LESSER GOLDFINCHES, and BEWICK'S WREN songs.
As yet, the Hooded Orioles I usually find at this location have not yet shown up.
A single AMERICAN WHITE PELICAN was present in the pond near Frontage Road, and there were still about 20 AMERICAN WIGEONS on the pond near the junction leading to Byxbee Park.
Matthew Dodder

Join us on Facebook!