Date: 3/14/17 12:33 pm
From: Donald C. Steinkraus <steinkr...>
Subject: Re: Yard questions
Birds and Insects and Plants are Interconnected

The invasive plants, nationwide, worldwide, along with invasive insects, exotic plant pathogenic fungi, etc. have wreaked havoc on our ecosystems and will continue to do so. All one has to think of is: American chestnut (wiped out by exotic fungus), American elm (essentially decimated by exotic fungus), ash trees (under great threat from exotic Emerald ash borer), all our hardwoods (from exotic Asian longhorn beetle), etc. etc.

I agree with Mary Ann and other writers below that for the sake of the birds, invasive plants be removed when in our power.

Honestly, the horticulture industry and USDA scientists that promoted plants such as Callery (Bradford) pears, Sericea lespideza, multiflora rose, Bermuda grass, fescue, Johnson grass, ailanthus trees, privet, bush honeysuckle, Japanese honeysuckle, English ivy, Nandina, and so many other plants, have greatly harmed the abundance and diversity of our native moths and other insects (that feed the birds) and therefore, bird life.

Like others on this listserv I am trying to walk the walk and kill and remove all the invasives above, but I recognize it is not in my power to do anything but mitigate the problem a bit.