Date: 3/14/17 12:24 pm
From: Russ Namitz <namitzr...>
Subject: [obol] Dark-eyed "Cassiar" Junco in Oregon
I saw and photographed a Dark-eyed "Cassiar" Junco in Grass Valley, Sherman County recently.

This subject comes up from time to time and it is worth mentioning as juncos are common feeder birds begging to have their photos taken. The "Cassiar" Junco is thought to be a hybrid between "Oregon" and "Slate-colored" Juncos interbreeding in the Canadian Rocky Mtns. Sibley lists it in the field guide as "Canadian Rocky Mountain."

http://ebird.org/content/nw/news/dark-eyed-junco-races-oregon-slate-colored-and-cassiar/

[http://ebird.org/content/nw/wp-content/uploads/sites/61/DEJUCassiar1_RentenaarRdOR031911_irons-1-270x192.jpg]<http://ebird.org/content/nw/news/dark-eyed-junco-races-oregon-slate-colored-and-cassiar/>

Dark-eyed Junco races: Oregon, Slate-colored and Cassiar ...<http://ebird.org/content/nw/news/dark-eyed-junco-races-oregon-slate-colored-and-cassiar/>
ebird.org
Most Northwest birders are familiar with identification of Oregon and Slate-colored Juncos, but what about the Cassiar Junco (Junco hyemalis cismontanus)?

Older discussion here.

http://www.oceanwanderers.com/JuncoID.html

Juncos: What do we know? - Angus Wilson<http://www.oceanwanderers.com/JuncoID.html>
www.oceanwanderers.com
Juncos: What do we know? From Mark Szantyr: While I enjoy debating the geographic origin of first year Herring Gulls as much as the next guy, and hey, you can ...

Good birding,

Russ Namitz

Join us on Facebook!