Date: 3/14/17 10:24 am
From: Yong Kong <yklitespeed...>
Subject: [JERSEYBI] Accipiter ID Study
Morning of blizzard Nor’Easter that never materialized, dumb birder that I am, rather than watching the backyard feeder, my head was so deep into internet in search of scientific publications on Kirkland’s Warbler, specially seeking out research papers on the documented “migratory stopover habitat” and no so much on their breeding habitat on “young jack pine habitat”.

Atlantic coastal areas as migratory stopover habitat, and the documented recapture of a juvenile during fall migration in dense hawthorn and crabapple thickets was most interesting to me. What was more interesting to me is still no documented record of one in NJ ?

Then, Mary yelled out “hawk by the feeder”. It was an accipiter. Cool thing was this adult was swinging and tilting and fanning its tail trying to stay upright against the wind. I am fully aware most (if not all) of the contributors in JBirds are experts in ID’ing an accipiter, but I put up some photos on my Flickr for those who are still trying to nail down the accipiter ID.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56086564@N04/

Yong Kong
Camden County

or e-mail to <njbrcreport...>