Date: 3/14/17 9:10 am
From: Jack and Pam <00000064a46c579c-dmarc-request...>
Subject: Re: Yard questions
Are you all aware of the Arkansas Audubon Society "Bird Friendly Yard" certification program?  The dream is to turn Arkansas into the America's largest bird sanctuary by creating a statewide network of yards and parks planted with native plants.   So far there are 17 certified yards around the state from Jonesboro to Fayetteville to Hot Springs with a concentration in Little Rock neighborhoods.  The program is just getting started.  For details contact Pam Stewart at <bfaudubon...> and/or take a look at the Arkansas Audubon website yard bird page.
   http://www.arbirds.org/Yard/yard_bird_program.htmNote: We are working on some updates to the information contained on the page. The most significant addition is a $20 dollar registration fee and a "working to become bird friendly" category.  The fee covers a useful book, a yard flag, and access to our budding mentoring program.
In addition, check out the National Audubon Society's cool new Plants for Birds site.  Put in your zip code and get a list of native plant suggestions for your location as well as a list of sources for native plants in your area.
Plants for Birds   http://www.audubon.org/plantsforbirdsNote: you need to scroll down below the stunning hummingbird picture to see the button for entering your zip code.

Finally, in spite of all the words and criteria you'll see listed on the bird friendly yard page we are still open to suggestions and help.   If you want to get involved at any level, please contact us.  Thanks
One more "finally"- On September 16, Buffalo National River Partners plan a massive stilt-grass removal at Boxley Valley (Buffalo National River), volunteers welcome. This invasive, non-native plant threatens the spectacular wildflower display along the popular Lost Valley Trail.
Jack StewartNewton Countywhere privet and Japanese Honeysuckle cringe at our approach.

On Monday, March 13, 2017 7:45 PM, Elizabeth Shores <efshores...> wrote:

I have declared for many years that at some time I will turn my life over to elimination of privet.

Sent from my iPhone
On Mar 13, 2017, at 6:57 PM, Herschel Raney <herschel.raney...> wrote:

I have spent 15 years clearing privet from my 12 acres of woods. There will still be privet here when I die or when I move away. It takes several years to clear any given area with pry bar and clippers and chain saw. Every root tries to come back. Every scattering of seed from the shoot of a remnant stump makes more swaths of seedling plants. They do not die back in winter. Sure they make seeds, good-god-loads-of-them, and the birds do eat them. The Hermit Thrushes will even bother with them in the deepest cold, if I am not uprooting privet and worms and grubs from the ground. Some years Robins roost by the thousands in my cedar groves and they eat privet berry. I have watched a Blue-headed Vireo take some in the heart of winter. And waxwings of course: it is a berry. Though I swear they would rather eat anything else.  Waxies will even take Nandina, another scourge.
I cannot walk anywhere on my property without bending to stoop for another starter privet here or there. I have some beautiful sections that are entirely privet free. I have no lawn, just leaf cover and flora and tree. The deer sleep outside my bathroom window. In my high bush blueberry, cleared of priver. And the deer do eat the privet in winter when I pile the clippings on the ground. I find them the next day, sleek and leggy, staring at me, radaring me with those great deer ear cups.
The plant should be banned for sale in the US. It was a bad experiment. We should now know better. But we don't. Bell has the scourge as well. And no one is really working on it now that Kenny is long gone.
It is a great shame all around when I find woods overtaken by them. Holla Bend. Ozark river valleys. Ah, the world. I would surrender and just go do privet work every day if I could. RIght now. I still may.
Don't test me.
Herschel Raney Conway AR

On 3/13/2017 12:44 PM, Reames, Clark -FS wrote:

#yiv5131958626 #yiv5131958626 -- _filtered #yiv5131958626 {font-family:Helvetica;panose-1:2 11 6 4 2 2 2 2 2 4;} _filtered #yiv5131958626 {panose-1:2 4 5 3 5 4 6 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv5131958626 {font-family:Calibri;panose-1:2 15 5 2 2 2 4 3 2 4;} _filtered #yiv5131958626 {panose-1:3 15 7 2 3 3 2 2 2 4;}#yiv5131958626 #yiv5131958626 p.yiv5131958626MsoNormal, #yiv5131958626 li.yiv5131958626MsoNormal, #yiv5131958626 div.yiv5131958626MsoNormal {margin:0in;margin-bottom:.0001pt;font-size:12.0pt;}#yiv5131958626 a:link, #yiv5131958626 span.yiv5131958626MsoHyperlink {color:blue;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5131958626 a:visited, #yiv5131958626 span.yiv5131958626MsoHyperlinkFollowed {color:purple;text-decoration:underline;}#yiv5131958626 span.yiv5131958626apple-converted-space {}#yiv5131958626 span.yiv5131958626EmailStyle18 {color:#1F497D;}#yiv5131958626 .yiv5131958626MsoChpDefault {font-size:10.0pt;} _filtered #yiv5131958626 {margin:1.0in 1.0in 1.0in 1.0in;}#yiv5131958626 div.yiv5131958626WordSection1 {}#yiv5131958626 After retirement, I plan to contract a dozer to get a head start on my privet thickets in AR and try to go back native but I am also realistic in the knowledge that I will have to fight privet for the rest of my days.  If your land is privet free now,  DO NOT INTRODUCE IT.  You will regret it.  I didn’t introduce it on my place but I sure wish that somebody else didn’t many years prior…

| <mime-attachment.png> |
| Clark Reames
Wildlife Program Manager |
| Forest Service Malheur National Forest |
| p: 541-575-3474 x3474
c: 541-620-0681
f: 541-575-3002
<creames...> |
| 431 Patterson Bridge Rd. P.O. Box 909
John Day, OR 97845
www.fs.fed.us
<mime-attachment.png><mime-attachment.png><mime-attachment.png> |
| Caring for the land and serving people |