Date: 3/14/17 6:05 am
From: <pcollins...> <pcollins...>
Subject: [AZNMbirds] SEAZ: Tubac Hawk Watch 3/13/17
Ron Morriss Park, Tubac, AZ March 13, 2017
7:30am - 2:00pm

A crowd pleasing flight for quite the crowd. We didn’t have much time to count people, but did count 63 at one point.

The first Turkey Vulture was up at 7:47. The first Black Hawk was at 8:42 north of the watch but almost no one saw it. A distant
Zonetail went by at 8:48. And then we waited.

9:07 passed, nothing. 9:15 - still nothing. 9:30 - the crowd became restless. Finally at 9:46 two Black Hawks rose where everyone could see them.
And a Zone-tailed. And a Swainson’s. A local Cooper’s hawk tried to steal the show with a close flyover, but the Black Hawks countered flying directly over the park and joining mixed kettles of Turkey Vultures and Zone-tails.

We tallied 25 Black Hawks, including two in the late afternoon. Another two were reported near the library/police station that were too far for us to see.

Eagles dominated the late morning with 6 sightings. A Harris's Hawk briefly perched in a cottonwood in the northeast corner and then made
a low pass over the tall cottonwoods.

Still no Gray Hawks.

The sun again became scorching by 11:00 but at noon 20 hawk watchers persisted.

Raptors:
Common Black Hawk 25
Zone-tailed Hawk 3
Swainson’s Hawk 1