Date: 3/14/17 2:23 am
From: Hawkcount.Org Reports <reports...>
Subject: Bucktoe Creek Preserve (13 Mar 2017) 8 Raptors

Unknown Falcon 0 0 0
Unknown Eagle 0 0 0
Unknown Raptor 0 0 0

Total: 8 86 86

Observation start time: 08:00:00
Observation end time: 16:30:00
Total observation time: 8.5 hours

Official Counter: Larry Lewis

Observers: Chris Weaver, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue McLaughlin

Visitors:
Visitors (6): Sue Geiger, Bob Suter, Chris Weaver, Kathleen Pileggi, Sue
McLaughlin.
<BR><BR>
Thanks everyone, for coming to beautiful Bucktoe Creek Preserve Hawk
Watch!
<BR><BR>

Weather:
Mostly Cloudy (75% cloud cover), Temps 22-36F, Winds E 5-10 mph

Raptor Observations:
----“Raptors” seen, but deemed not to be migrating: 2-Red-shouldered Hawk,
6-Red-tailed Hawk, and numerous Black (15) and Turkey Vultures (40).
<BR><BR>

Non-raptor Observations:
<BR><BR>
TODAY’S ‘BBB:’ No wind this morning – already a plus! Feeders are active;
they seem to know what’s on the way. I feel something big is on the way,
too. I just hope it has wings attached and not this storm! We’ll see…
The sky was to dream for; a near perfect background of mostly high clouds.
A precursor of what was to come. My friend, Chris, from Wild Birds
Unlimited in Glen Mills, stopped by today to deliver feed for the birds.
Great job Chris and thanks for your support! You and your store are
fantastic! A quick loop around the meadow fringe today produced a Brown
Creeper (species #57) and “our” early-returning Phoebe. He’s surviving,
but his activity has changed. To catch his prey of insects, he was now
landing on the ground and apprehending….something. Still, he appeared
well. Hang in there intrepid soul; the true test begins with tonight’s
snow storm. I hope to see you alive, well, and thriving afterwards. My
van’s battery died as a result of me using it to recharge my laptop and
phone for field use. That never happened before. A few calls and texts
were made to friends, and one – Sue Geiger – came to my rescue. THANK YOU,
Sue! While I waited for Sue’s arrival a Barred Owl hooted at 3:14 – same
as yesterday, twice. Some will think this whole “battery crisis” thing was
a ploy - all along - to increase my turnout. Believe what you will….thy
cynic. Believe what thy will…. At any rate, I’m certain I won’t be able
to make it to “the watch” tomorrow. And it’s doubtful for Wednesday. I’m
aiming for Thursday…
<BR><BR>
----My thanks to Kathleen Pileggi for posting these sightings to ebird and
for helping with this submission to “Hawk Count.” Thanks also, to Delaware
Nature Society, and especially, to the Brokaws, for their incredible
support and gracious generosity in opening their property to the public for
this watch, and oh, so very much more!
<BR><BR>
----ADDITIONAL BIRD HIGHLIGHTS: 1-Killdeer, 7-Ring-billed Gull, 1-Barred
Owl, 1-Eastern Phoebe, 15-Horned Lark, 1-Brown Creeper, 1-Eastern Towhee,
10-White-crowned Sparrow.
<BR><BR>
----OTHER WILDLIFE NOTED: Butterflies (0); Dragonflies (0); Reptiles &
Amphibians (0); Mammals (0).
<BR><BR>
for today (join me, if you wish): Miles: 6.45; Steps: 15,141; Floors:
27.
<BR><BR>
----“SEASON’S BIRD SPECIES LIST” – we at Bucktoe are not just a hawk watch,
(very rough, best “guestimate,” – raptors must remain our primary focus)
for totals of each species seen for “The Watch” year.
<BR><BR>
TOTAL SPECIES – Identified from watch site: today: 41; this season: 57
<BR><BR>
NEW SPECIES ADDED TODAY TO THIS YEAR’S “WATCH SPECIES LIST (1):” Brown
Creeper.
<BR><BR>

Predictions:
Tomorrow will be a snow day....a blizzard. No way I'll be there for the
next two days, I'm afraid. No way, I'd be able to see anything if I did!
Thursday morning is my goal...
<BR><BR>
Come join us, folks! We’re here every day, 9am thru 3pm (at least). Rain
or shine….just not SNOW!
The Hawk Watch at Bucktoe Creek Preserve is sponsored by Delaware Nature
Society (DNS) and the Brokaw family. Please contact us at

Site Description:
High open meadow facing north near Red Clay Creek

Directions to site:
From Kennett Square, PA (in southern Chester County):