Date: 3/13/17 9:59 pm
From: Andrew Bankert <abankert2007...>
Subject: [cobirds] Loveland Gulls (Larimer)
Nick Komar and I headed down to Horseshoe Lake in Loveland this evening to
pick through the gull flock. It was a very good day with about 8 species
found, although we did not find the Great Black-backed Gull. When I saw
the Mew Gull I reported yesterday had been rejected by ebird (I wasn't sure
if we misidentified the bird or just didn't provide enough evidence with
poor photos and even worse details) I became determined to study first
cycle Ring-billed Gulls to see if I had actually misidentified yesterday's
bird in sub-optimal conditions. Unfortunately, there aren't many young
Ring-billed Gulls around, but I did find a very similar looking bird which
was a first-cycle MEW GULL and made me more confident in our identification
yesterday. I guess it is better to include more details on the bird and
fewer hashtags in eBird descriptions. We also found the continuing (bird
that has been reported as an) ICELAND GULL along with four THAYER'S GULLs
(if you believe in those). The Iceland Gull was pretty distant, and I
never personally saw any barring on the tertials although everything else
seemed to fit for what people call Iceland Gulls out here. There was also
a very pale Thayer's Gull around, but the primaries were much darker than
the Iceland Gull's primaries. We also had a couple of early FRANKLIN'S
GULLS and 14 LESSER BLACK-BACKED GULLS in the flock of 1500-2000 gulls. We
only birded the southwest corner of the lake.

Good Birding!
Andy Bankert
Fort Collins, CO