Date: 3/13/17 8:43 pm
From: Urs Geiser <ugeiser...> [ILbirds] <ILbirds-noreply...>
Subject: IBET Central Illinois waterfowl
On Sunday I made a loop through Livingston, Ford, McLean, and Woodford
Counties in an attempt to find previously reported "desirable" birds.
Even though I failed to find longspurs, loons, or large grebes, I
nevertheless found quite a variety of waterfowl and a couple of other
nice birds.

I ended up with 17 species of ducks (missing only Black Duck, Pintail,
Greater Scaup, and sea ducks) and 3 species of geese. Locations included
Sibley Grove (Ford Co.; Wood Duck, Green- and Blue-winged Teal), Sibley
Grasslands (only Gadwall), Moraine View St.P. (McLean Co.; Hooded
Merganser), Evergreen Lake (in Woodford Co. only Gadwall; in McLean Co.
much variety including American Wigeon, Canvasback, Redhead,
Red-breasted Merganser, and Ruddy Duck), borrow pit at 2500N and I-39
(McLean Co.; Bufflehead, Hooded Merganser), El Paso (Woodford Co.)
sewage ponds (ca. 20 Greater White-fronted Geese, 1 blue Snow Goose,
Shoveler, Canvasback, Redhead, Bufflehead, Ruddy Duck), Gridley (McLean
Co.) sewage ponds (3 Greater White-fronted Geese, 1 female Common
Goldeneye, other diving ducks), and the ponds on IL-23 on the north side
of Pontiac (Livingston Co.; 3 Common Merganser).

Other water birds included quite a few Pied-billed and Horned Grebes at
Moraine View and Evergreen Lake and 2 American White Pelicans on
Evergreen Lake (McLean). Great Blue Herons were on the nest at the
Pontiac rookery.

Bald Eagles flew over at Sibley grasslands and Evergreen Lake, and two
immatures sat in the trees in Pontiac.

The best bird of the day however was a Merlin along 1100 N in Ford Co.
about a mile or so west of the Sibley grasslands.

Passerine variety was low, with Rusty Blackbirds (Sibley Grove) and Fox
Sparrow (Moraine View) the most interesting species.

Urs

--
Urs Geiser (<ugeiser...>)
Woodridge (DuPage Co., IL)