Date: 3/13/17 8:10 pm
From: Roy Gerig <roygerig...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Scaup on the Columbia
Mostly during 3 and 4 decades ago I often looked at the rafts of 100s of
mixed scaup and a few related ducks upstream of the Deschutes River mouth
to the John Day Dam in early spring during randomized (seriously random, I
had a book of 4 digit random numbers with me and everything) road trips I
would stop along the frontage roads there as I was needing to look at
people's farming practices, most often in the Columbia Basin and around
Yakima for the purpose of deciding what is an act of God vs. what is poor
management, sometimes just spying but always being nice about it if
discovered, while we were developing crop insurance. I usually felt like
it was 60/40 in favor of Greater Scaup/Lesser. Hail was always thought to
be an act of God 100/0 in apples. I hope I learned something from this, I
know you did

Roy Gerig Salem OR

Join us on Facebook!