Date: 3/13/17 6:12 pm
From: Ray <rkorpi...>
Subject: [obol] Scaup on the Columbia
Hi all,

Besides the seeming novelty to me still of all the Scaup near PDX, I generally find good numbers of Greater when I have the occasion to stop and look. This has gotten harder to be certain given the amount of parking along Marine Dr. that has disappeared, but the flocks along there do have both birds. I've never tried to split percentage (again, not easy to stop and look as it was 20 years ago, but 20 years ago, there weren't that many scaup there).

I did drive along Marine Drive about three weeks ago and decided to do a count of scaup sp total. From Broughton Beach to 181st, I estimated around 1200 birds, with no other duck species seen until I got some Common Merganser in among the boat houses right before 181st

And I totally second what Paul S said about the Columbia and scaup numbers--many of his field trips turned me onto many of those good spots--thanks Paul

Ray Korpi

Vancouver WA

Join us on Facebook!