Date: 3/13/17 5:50 pm
From: Mike Patterson <celata...>
Subject: [obol] Rufous x Allen's hybrids
It's been a while since I checked the literature, but the occurrence
of RufousxAllen's hybrids has to my knowledge, never been clearly
demonstrated. This is not to say that hybrids have not been reported.
They have, but given the difficulty of sorting clear hybrid traits
from the statistical noise of variability in these two very closely
related sister taxa, I suspect only genetic evidence would be
definitive. It's possible this work has been done, but I haven't
seen the paperwork.

Rufous Hummingbird males show green backs, sometimes VERY green backs,
so having a green back does not a hybrid make. I'm not even convinced
that intermediate flight displays would get you there.

And just for the record, there is a small group of taxonomists who
believe they should be lumped, anyway.

--
Mike Patterson
Astoria, OR