Date: 3/13/17 5:50 pm
From: Robert O'Brien <baro...>
Subject: [obol] Re: hybrid hummers
Whoops, forgot the footnote Also, I meant to mention Floresci's as an
Allen/Anna's hybrid,
not Rufous. In those (long-ago) days Rufous and Anna's didn't or really
overlap in
breeding range.
https://sora.unm.edu/sites/default/files/journals/condor/v059n02/p0118-p0123.pdf

Condor, 1957

See portion of text attached.

There are a few pages about more modern Rufous/Anna's hybrids on the
internet.

Bob OBrien

On Mon, Mar 13, 2017 at 4:29 PM, Robert O'Brien <baro...> wrote:

> A couple of comments re: the recent hummer thread and a question.
>
> In 43 years here in Carver, in the last 10 or so many many Anna's and
> Rufous, I've seen
>
> 1. A hybrid Anna's Rufous. Looked mostly like Rufous but had a red
> forehead/crown.
> I was excited, got my camera and waited for it to return to my feeder. It
> didn't.
> This hybrid was apparently first recorded by John Gould with a colored
> picture in 1861
> in his magnificent book on hummingbirds. Not know as a hybrid at the time
> he called it
> Floresci's Hummingbird. See footnote.
>
> 2. Only once have I seen a green-backed Rufous. Quite extensive amount of
> green but
> undoubtedly a young or aberrant Rufous. Or perhaps a far flung hybrid.
> Once again, too furtive for a photo.
>
> Now the question. In terms of talk about differentiation by mating
> display or by call
> (or even by emargination of the tail feathers), you can undoubtedly
> separate Allen's
> and Rufous. Except for one consideration. What do their hybrids offer in
> this
> respect?
>
> Bob OBrien
> Carver OR