Date: 3/13/17 5:00 pm
From: Michael Fialkovich <mpfial...>
Subject: Middle Creek WMA Green-winged Teal
Hi,

I had a meeting in Harrisburg so I spent some time in the area birding. I started at Middle Creek to search for the Eurasian Green-winged Teal that has been reported. I saw the flock in the pond near and across from the intersection of Hopeland Road and Sunnyside Road.

I found the teal but what I saw was a bird that showed both the horizontal white line just under the wings AND the vertical white lines on either side of the breast, so what I saw was a hybrid between the two. The vertical white lines on this bird were less bold, shorter and narrower than those on the American Green-winged Teal but were noticeable through a scope. I saw the bird both in and out of the water (it was preening on shore at one point).

Another birder pointed out a Short-eared Owl along the wildlife drive (thank you!) and I saw another along Hopeland Road as I was leaving. It eventually flew over the road to continue hunting the fields.

Mike Fialkovich
Pittsburgh Area, Allegheny County

Join us on Facebook!