Date: 3/13/17 4:58 pm
From: Herschel Raney <herschel.raney...>
Subject: Re: Yard questions
I have spent 15 years clearing privet from my 12 acres of woods. There
will still be privet here when I die or when I move away. It takes
several years to clear any given area with pry bar and clippers and
chain saw. Every root tries to come back. Every scattering of seed from
the shoot of a remnant stump makes more swaths of seedling plants. They
do not die back in winter. Sure they make seeds, good-god-loads-of-them,
and the birds do eat them. The Hermit Thrushes will even bother with
them in the deepest cold, if I am not uprooting privet and worms and
grubs from the ground. Some years Robins roost by the thousands in my
cedar groves and they eat privet berry. I have watched a Blue-headed
Vireo take some in the heart of winter. And waxwings of course: it is a
berry. Though I swear they would rather eat anything else. Waxies will
even take Nandina, another scourge.

I cannot walk anywhere on my property without bending to stoop for
another starter privet here or there. I have some beautiful sections
that are entirely privet free. I have no lawn, just leaf cover and flora
and tree. The deer sleep outside my bathroom window. In my high bush
blueberry, cleared of priver. And the deer do eat the privet in winter
when I pile the clippings on the ground. I find them the next day, sleek
and leggy, staring at me, radaring me with those great deer ear cups.

The plant should be banned for sale in the US. It was a bad experiment.
We should now know better. But we don't. Bell has the scourge as well.
And no one is really working on it now that Kenny is long gone.

It is a great shame all around when I find woods overtaken by them.
Holla Bend. Ozark river valleys. Ah, the world. I would surrender and
just go do privet work every day if I could. RIght now. I still may.

Don't test me.

Herschel Raney

Conway AR

On 3/13/2017 12:44 PM, Reames, Clark -FS wrote:

> After retirement, I plan to contract a dozer to get a head start on my
> privet thickets in AR and try to go back native but I am also
> realistic in the knowledge that I will have to fight privet for the
> rest of my days. If your land is privet free now, DO NOT INTRODUCE
> IT. You will regret it. I didn’t introduce it on my place but I sure
> wish that somebody else didn’t many years prior…
>
> Forest Service Shield
>

> *Clark Reames
> Wildlife Program Manager*
>
> *Forest Service *
>
> *Malheur National Forest*
>
> *p: 541-575-3474 x3474
> c: 541-620-0681
> f: 541-575-3002
> <creames...> <mailto:<creames...>*
>
> 431 Patterson Bridge Rd. P.O. Box 909
> John Day, OR 97845
> www.fs.fed.us <http://www.fs.fed.us>
> USDA Logo <http://usda.gov/>Forest Service Twitter
> <https://twitter.com/forestservice>USDA Facebook
> <https://www.facebook.com/pages/US-Forest-Service/1431984283714112>
>
> *Caring for the land and serving people*

Join us on Facebook!