Date: 3/13/17 3:34 pm
From: Wayne Hoffman <whoffman...>
Subject: [obol] Re: Scaup species along Columbia River
Hi -

I have been aware of Greaters in numbers in the Columbia for quite a while. It is my impression that Greaters prefer larger, deeper bodies of water.  Whenever I have seen scaup in ponds in city ponds (Mingus Pond, Crystal Springs, etc.) they were always Lessers.  Lessers, of course can be found on big water, but in my observations not the reverse.

Wayne
On 3/13/2017 3:10:43 PM, Russ Namitz <namitzr...> wrote:
I have always assumed that large rafts of Scaup sp. along rivers in Oregon were almost entirely LESSER SCAUP (e.g. Scaup flock off Marine Drive at PDX airport, Dean Creek Wildlife Area east of Reedsport) and I have confirmed that first-hand while stopping to scan through these flocks.  As I was driving along the Columbia River around the Biggs area in Sherman County yesterday, I assumed the large raft was also predominately Lesser Scaup, but in fact, when I scoped the flock, I estimated 80% of the 1000 birds were GREATER SCAUP.  Perhaps this is not news to old time Oregon birders, but I was surprised.

Good birding,
Russ Namitz

Join us on Facebook!